1. A Star: Yes, you really can buy a star for someone. For around $50 you can send them a nice certificate and a map of the night sky so they can find it.
2. Adopt-an-Animal: Most local zoos have special programs where you can adopt a zoo animal. Sometimes it comes with special recognition, other times an arranged animal encounter. Rest assured, no one has ever bought them an elephant recently.
3. The Experience of a Lifetime: Whether they always wanted to be a veterinarian or a high flying trapeze artist, there is bound to be program where they can experience what it would have been like for the day. Let them live out their dreams.
4. Donation: If your friend or loved one has a favorite charity, why not make a donation in lieu of a giving them a present. Chances are they would love that idea.
5. Dinner: Going out to eat may seem like fun, but it gets old fast. If you are a good cook (and that’s a big if), you can whip up the dish you are famous for and offer them a home-cooked meal for a change, with birthday cake for dessert of course.
6. If you’ve got kids, have them make something. As cheesy as it sounds, people love pictures and hand-made crafts from kids, especially when theirs are grown.